We have had some eventful years. In 2014, WAAE held its 5th Arts Education World Summit in Brisbane, Australia with delegates from dozens of countries. At this particular summit, the delegation made a strong resolution to be sent to the Australian government in regard to cuts that were happening to arts education. We remain hopeful that this action will have a positive effect.
Prior to this WAAE has held other very successful world summits. The 4th WAAE Summit was held in Rovaniemi, Finland in November 2012 where we brought together over 100 delegates from 28 countries representing art, dance, drama and music. Recommendations from that summit can be found here.
In 2013 we partnered with the International Network for Research in Arts Education (INRAE) and ACENet to launch Polylogue II: Global Summit on Arts Education in Wildbad Kreuth, Germany in May 2013. Once again we were able to bring together over 140 art, dance, drama and music educators from around the globe to discuss issues and research perspectives of mutual interest. The overall results of Polylogue II can be found here.
While the WAAE Forum (committee of 4 Presidents or their delegates) continue to address the recommendations of these summits and meetings and are focusing on the following:
1) continue to refine conference organization strategies to include different kinds of presentations.
2) Continue to send out calls for expressions of interest for hosting future world summits and encourage related events.
3) Continue to lobby governments on behalf of arts education.
4) encourage further arts education alliance building around the world.
5) consider creating special interest groups or strategic action groups working across the arts especially for International Arts Education Week.
6) Lastly, the WAAE Forum cannot do everything. We need volunteers to help us become a sustainable organization. Please let us know if you want to become involved.
Margaret Barrett is our current WAAE Forum Chair. During International Arts Education Week in 2015, Robin Pacoe will become the new chair of WAAE Forum. Robin is the current IDEA President and we welcome him to this leadership position!
Past Chair of WAAE
InSEA Past President, WAAE Forum Rep.
WAAE Executive Forum (2012-2013)
Rita Irwin (Previously InSEA President), Ralph Buck (WDA), Margaret Barrett (Previously ISME President) and Patrice Baldwin (IDEA) at the 4th WAAE World Summit in Rovaniemi, Finland (Nov 7-10, 2012).